Looking for the best electric toothbrush?
You’ve come to the right place. On this website you’ll find many honest reviews of the bestselling and best rated electric toothbrushes available on the market. You’ll also find detailed guides on using electric toothbrushes and
tips on how to find the best electric toothbrush for your needs.
Why should you use an electric toothbrush instead of a normal toothbrush? The answer is simple. A great deal of clinical research has proven that electric toothbrushes are simply far superior to manual toothbrushes when it comes to getting rid of dental plague and preventing gum disease.
An electric toothbrush is designed to vibrate at a high speed, producing much more brush strokes per minute than manual toothbrushes. They also come with special unique features like different cleaning modes, brush timers, whitening polishers, gum massagers and pressure sensors, amongst many other capabilities. All of these factors help you ensure that you maintain an optimum level of oral hygiene and dental health.
In short, electric toothbrushes will improve your
dental health, prevent gum disease, make your teeth look whiter and help you cultivate good oral hygiene habits. They are also useful for individuals with physical disabilities and older folks who do not have the arm strength to brush their teeth thoroughly.
On the rest of this page youll find a detailed
buyer’s guide with tips on choosing the right
electric tooth brush. I highly recommend that you read the entire buying guide but if you prefer to skip it and jump straight to my personal list of the top 3 electric toothbrushes in the market now, just click on this link.
What Types of Electric Toothbrushes Are There?
If you’re overwhelmed by the sheer number of electric toothbrushes available, don’t worry. Ill help you make sense of it all. While you may notice a huge variety of electric toothbrushes online or in your local store, they can all be divided into two different types. Yes, that’s
right. Just two types. They are as follows:
1. Normal Power Electric Toothbrush. These
are low-end electric toothbrushes which can
produce 3,000 to 7,500 brush strokes in a
minute. They usually have rotary brush heads
which spin in a circular motion or pulsating brush heads which vibrate in a horizontal forward and back motion. Many power electric toothbrushes do not have additional features like pressure sensors, quadrant timers and other cleaning modes. Their price range is from $15 to $100.
2. Sonic Electric Tooth brush. The sonic
toothbrush is similar to the power toothbrush
except for one key difference: brush speed and
power. The best sonic toothbrush produces 30,000 to 40,000 brush strokes in a minute,
significantly higher than normal electric
toothbrush. Essentially a super high speed device for cleaning your teeth, sonic toothbrushes can generate sound waves and vibrating water molecules which are more effective in cleaning the teeth and gums. Their prices range from $100 to $170.
Clinical comparative research has proven that sonic toothbrushes are more effective at removing plaque than normal electric toothbrushes. These sonic toothbrushes usually come equipped with all the latest toothbrush technology like pressure sensors, timers, self-cleaning UV sanitizers and other features.
Now let’s move on and look the points you keep in mind when looking at the different electric
toothbrushes out there. Understanding these factors will help you make a better electric toothbrush comparison so you can choose the best toothbrush for your needs.
5 Factors To Consider When Buying Electric Toothbrush
Now that you know the two main types of electric toothbrushes, let’s look at the 5 key factors to consider when you’re choosing an electric toothbrush. While there are many excellent electric toothbrushes on the market, all of them should be measured by the following criteria when making a buying decision:
- Power Levels and Brush Stroke Speed – How powerful and effective is the electric toothbrush? The number of brush strokes makes a difference. Tests show that sonic tooth brushes clean your teeth more effectively than normal power toothbrushes. Electric toothbrushes with selectable brushing modes and power levels are recommended over toothbrushes with only one on/off mode. If you are new to electric
toothbrushes, you may not be accustomed to its vibrations, so always remember to start at a lower rate of vibration.
- Type of Brush Head – What brush heads can be used on the electric toothbrush? Pulsating rotary toothbrushes are suitable for people who like bigger brush heads because they are similar to manual
toothbrushes. If you are looking for precision cleaning for hard-to-reach areas, a smaller rotary brush head is a better choice. Or you can get a brush head with both pulsating and rotary capabilities. There are also brush heads and bristles designed for specific purposes such as whitening,
flossing, sensitive teeth and braces. Pick the right one that suits your specific needs. Just remember that electric toothbrush heads should be changed every 2-3 months.
- Size of the Electric Toothbrush – Who is using the electric toothbrush? The toothbrush you choose should depend on the age of the user. For youths
and children aged 4 to 12 years old, you should consider buying a kids electric toothbrush or a light-weight electric toothbrush because they are easier to hold. Alternatively, you can buy a normal toothbrush but get a smaller brush-head because it will be easier to maneuver for younger or older folks. For traveling purposes, its best to get a slim and lightweight electric toothbrush.
- Warranties and Guarantees – Warranties and guarantees can significantly reduce the risk involved in buying electric toothbrushes. Most quality and high-priced electric toothbrushes will definitely be
backed by a warranty of at least 12 months or more. Depending on the company or brand, you may also have money back guarantees of 14 days to 30 days. So take advantage of the guarantee to try out your new electric toothbrush. If you are not happy with it in any way, simply refund or exchange it for another model.
- Battery Type and Life-Span – Does the electric toothbrush use rechargeable batteries or disposable batteries? How long can it hold a charge? The best electric toothbrush is a rechargeable toothbrush with a long battery life. Be sure to choose electric toothbrushes with rechargeable batteries: you don’t want to keep buying disposable batteries. The charge for an excellent rechargeable electric toothbrush usually lasts for a week, which is great for short holidays. I recommend choosing rechargeable electric toothbrushes with battery life indicators that tell you when its due to be recharged.
Advanced Features of the Best Electric Toothbrushes
The best electric toothbrush for your needs should not only have sufficient brushing power but it should have other features which complement your daily oral care routine. Consider choosing toothbrushes with the
following extra capabilities as they can greatly improve your oral hygiene everyday:
- Pressure Sensors– A main problem that many people have is that they brush too hard. Too much pressure on your teeth will not ruin your teeth enamel, but will also lead to oversensitive gums. Gums can bleed when too much force is applied
during brushing. To counteract this problem, some electric toothbrushes have built-in pressure sensors that that will tell you when you are brushing too
- Built-in Two Minute Timer – Dental health care professionals all agree that you need to brush your teeth for the minimum duration of two minutes in order to effectively get rid of plaque and bacteria. This is hard to manage with manual toothbrushes. However, electric toothbrushes have a 2-minute timer which automatically starts when the toothbrush is turned on. It will then pulse or vibrate after 2 minutes. This helps to eliminate the problem of under brushing and is a very important feature to
have a electric tooth brush.
- Quadrant Timers – For cleaning purposes, your mouth can be split into four sections. Dentists recommend that you spend at least 30 seconds on one quadrant before moving to the next. Some toothbrushes have quadrant timers that beep or buzz in 30 second intervals to tell you to move on to
another part of your mouth. Unlike the 2-minute timer, this is a special feature that is often only found in high-end electric toothbrushes.
- UV Sanitizer – A UV sanitizer produces UV light which shines on your toothbrush heads, killing any existing bacteria or germs that may grow on your brush head while its sitting in your wet bathroom. They are highly recommended for hygiene purposes,
especially if you live in messy/crowded areas where dirt and germs from the environment and other people can accumulate on your toothbrush head.
All of the features above are often included in high-end sonic electric toothbrushes. Some low-end power toothbrushes may have one feature or two but never all four of them at once. Just something to keep in mind when you’re shopping for electric toothbrushes.
Which Electric Toothbrush Should I Buy? Now that you’ve read my entire buyer’s guide to
electric toothbrushes, you should have a pretty good idea of what electric toothbrushes you want. If you still need more guidance, here is my personal advice on buying electric toothbrushes. These tips are the result of many years of personal experience in buying electric toothbrushes for myself and loved ones.
First things first: Let’s talk about the cost involved. While I think its important to not over-
spend, I cannot emphasize how important it is to
ignore price as a main factor when choosing
electric toothbrushes. I know some of you maybe on a budget but hear me out: there is a reason to my madness. Why do I say price is not a relevant factor? Here are two main reasons:
Electric toothbrushes are long term
investments. I have used sonme electric
toothbrushes everyday for at least 3 years without them breaking down. They work just as fine as day one, the only thing that depreciates is the battery life, but that is unavoidable. My point is simple: A good high quality electric toothbrush can last you many years. When you divide the cost of a $160 sonic toothbrush over 2 years, it only comes to around $6 a month, which is really a LOW price to pay for great looking teeth and fantastic oral health. Don’t make the mistake of buying inferior toothbrushes just because you want to save money. It’s just not worth it in the long run.
Dental health is important. Extremely
important. An electric toothbrush is NOT a
frivolous fashion item that doesn’t add much value to your life. It’s a product that’s critical for your dental health and overall well-being. Choosing a great electric toothbrush with all the extra features can make a huge difference to your oral health over the years. It can literally maintain your teeth in perfect form so you never have to visit the dentist for fillings and cavity removals. Dentists are expensive. While you cannot avoid a yearly check-up, you can avoid major dental intervention by having a perfect dental hygiene plan through
the use of a high quality electric tooth brush.
HOT TIP – If you really want to save money and
there is more than one person in a household,
consider buying a high-end sonic toothbrush and sharing it. Don’t worry, it’s hygienic. You just need to get multiple brush heads and label each one with the name of the person using it. Attach the relevant brush-head when its your turn to brush. A downside of this method is that sometimes the toothbrush will have low battery power because it’s used multiple times a day. You should also be fine with sharing the toothbrush handle. Some people may not be open to this idea and find it a hassle to share. Check first!
Now let’s decide on the type of electric toothbrush. Should you choose a sonic toothbrush or a normal power electric toothbrush? Personally, I highly recommend buying a sonic toothbrush instead of just a normal electric toothbrush. Sonic toothbrushes
are just more effective when it comes to removing plague and keeping your teeth clean. Many clinical studies have proven that sonic tooth brushes perform better.
From personal experience, I just feel cleaner and
fresher when I’nm using an sonic toothbrush. I
especially like the very slight ticklish feeling of sonic toothbrushes when I brush my teeth: it’s a great sensation. Nothing like deep cleaning my teeth and massaging my gums everyday. From what I’ve seen in the mirror, sonic toothbrushes do clean away food particles and coffee/tea stains much better than normal electric tooth brushes. So in short, go with a sonic toothbrush instead of a normal power toothbrush.
Here are my top recommendations for the
best electric toothbrushes. If you’re short of
time and don’t want to read many toothbrush
reviews, just go with the ones listed below. They
are the best-selling and most popular electric
toothbrushes on the market right now so you can’t go wrong with choosing any of them.